16 September, 2010

Review - An Autumn War by Daniel Abraham

Otah Machi, once dockside laborer and later a practitioner of the gentleman's trade, who's traveled the world and is now one of the most powerful men in the Khaiem. A man who's seen it all, from the death of a poet causing the loss of Saraykeht's andat, Seedless, to his sister's betrayal of her own family and culture.

Otah is a man who does the right thing no matter how hard that may be. In An Autumn War (2008) [US] [UK], he will be tested more than ever before because the Galts have a plan to rid the world of the Khaiem. And Balasar Gice, or General Gice to the Galts, is the man who can make it all happen.

While the Galts have been some of the main antagonists from the beginning of The Long Price Quartet, they have normally been more of a passive force; preferring to enact their will indirectly rather than taking any active role outright against the Khaiem. That all changes in An Autumn War as they are finally able to put their plan into action.

Daniel Abraham is one of those authors who makes me think I could never become a writer myself. His plot is not only very well-paced, but it is complex and I have never yet been able to predict what will happen next. I really love that about him.

While some could call The Long Price Quartet dry, which it is to some degree - it's not fast-paced if you were wondering, it is perfect for the story that is being told. Abraham makes me think of another of my favorite authors, John Marco, who has the ability to inject such pathos into the writing and characters that you become attached to each and every one and your heart breaks as they suffer.

An Autumn War, like its predecessors, is highly character driven and the magic plays more of a background role. Don't get me wrong, it has its moments when it is the most important thing, but the magic adds to creating an in-depth world while the characters draw you into the series.

When Should You Read The Long Price Quartet?

This is a great series that has me hooked. It's heartbreaking and rewarding at the same time and An Autumn War was the best read so far. Daniel Abraham has created a world that is uniquely his own. Highly recommended.

I'm already blazing through the conclusion of the Long Price Quartet, The Price of Spring, and I can already tell I'll be sad to be done with this series by the end.

4.5 out of 5 Stars

A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, Book 1) (My review, EdiFanoB's review)
A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, Book 2) (My review)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Seak- I still have the 2nd omnibus laying around collecting dust. May have to dust it off soon and read the rest of this series. Great review.

Bryce L. said...

Thanks Ty. It gets even better, so watch out. I really can't wait to finally read Peter's review of The Price of Spring. :)