05 October, 2011

Review - Laddertop Vol. 1 by Orson Scott Card, Emily Janice Card, Illustrated by Honoel A. Ibardolaza

(A night at the Card's)

(Emily walks in to talk to her Uncle Orson, she's got big plans)

OSC: (startled) Oh, hi Emily. What are you doing here so early?

EJC: (Did I mention she's a bit off her rocker) Hi Unkie Orson, I had this great idea for a new book I want to write, but I think I need your help and your connections of course.

OSC: You know I'd do anything for family, what's the pitch?

EJC: So, I was thinking of having this school, and, well, it's only for kids...oh and it's in space...

OSC: Umm...I don't know if you've ever read my most fam-

EJC: ...and the kids in this school are really smart and they're a select group...

OSC: I really think you should look at the things I've already pub-

EJC: ...and we would definitely have to have an antigravity training scene or two and awesome space suits, oh, and aliens...

OSC: Have you even been paying attention to my career-

EJC: ...and the lead characters will be two girls and it will all be done as a manga.

OSC: Wow, this is brand new to me! Let's go with it, I'll call Tor.


Okay, I couldn't resist and I have no authority to speak to the craziness of any of the people who worked on Laddertop. While it's own story with completely different aliens and kids, Laddertop [US] [UK] really hard not to see Orson Scott Card and divorce this new manga story from his work with Ender.

I did enjoy the book, it's a very quick read and while this seemed like one big set up, this will be a really fun story to follow. Plus, I don't read a lot of manga, so this is branching out for me. I will have to read some more in the future because this was really fun.

3.5 out of 5 Stars

Blurbage:

Twenty-five years ago, the alien Givers came to Earth. They gave the human race the greatest technology ever seen— four giant towers known as Ladders that rise 36,000 miles into space and culminate in space stations that power the entire planet. Then, for reasons unknown, the Givers disappeared. Due to the unique alien construction of the Laddertop space stations, only a skilled crew of children can perform the maintenance necessary to keep the stations up and running.
Back on Earth, competition is fierce to enter Laddertop Academy. It is an honor few students will achieve. Robbi and Azure, two eleven-year-old girls who are the best of friends, are candidates for the Academy. They will become entangled in a dangerous mystery that may help them solve the riddle of the Givers...if it doesn’t destroy the Earth first!
A copy of this book was provided by the publisher

0 comments: