01 February, 2013

Updates and Excuses

I know posting's been sparse the last week or so and I apologize. I'm in that place where anything outside of bar studying just isn't happening, at least not effectively. I'm reading fine, I need the breaks whenever I can get them, but to actually sit down and review has proved ... difficult to say the least.

So, I figured I should give a quick update of what I'm reading and what you can hopefully expect soon.

But first, here's a sign at the local college where I've been studying. I think there's a reason it's called the Nook Color and not the other way around:

Sorry for the terrible picture that's not even focused on the thing I wanted to focus on. It's in the upper left corner of the sign.

As to what I'm reading, I've actually found audiobooks to really hit the spot lately. They don't take too much brain power and I don't have much to spare.

Finished (and in need of review):
-Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn - Audiobook (Good but not great and maybe closer to okay)
-The Eyes of the Overworld (Dying Earth #2) by Jack Vance - Audiobook (Excellent)

Currently reading:
-The Daylight War (Demon Cycle #3) by Peter V. Brett (Loving every second)
-Shadow Ops: Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops #2) by Myke Cole (Great sequel so far)
-Gardens of the Moon (Malazan #1) by Steven Erikson - reread (I really shouldn't read anything concurrently with this, it's so good)
-World War Z by Max Brooks - Audiobook (Good, but not as great as I thought it would be)

3 comments:

logankstewart said...

I'm jealous that you already have a copy of Brett's book. I can't wait for the release.

I did WWZ on audio and thought it was well done. I didn't like that it was abridged, though. Oh well.

Good luck with the bar studying. I need to be studying for my PE exam, but I'm holding off.

Bryce L. said...

Yeah, Daylight War's my most highly awaited book for this year so I was pretty excited to get it. :)

I just finished my review for WWZ and it's well done, but I definitely had some problems with it. Cool concept, but the way it's done it keeps you from getting really attached to anyone or anything that's happening.

Regarding bar - thanks a ton, I need it. This is my second time and for the PE (engineering right?) I definitely recommend making sure you only have to do it once. :D

Carl V. Anderson said...

I enjoyed the Zahn book. Also liked Eyes of the Overworld, but not as much as the first Dying Earth story. I need to get back to this collection. Vance is a pretty amazing author.

I'm really interested in Myke Cole after all the buzz I've heard about him this past week.